There are so many people all around me that I see on both sides of the line. Some are working to get there (although they are not there yet). Others are simply crashing and burning... So many wanted college but never went and are stuck in dead end jobs. Of those who went to college, only half got their degree AND only half of those are putting there degree to use.
A close friend of mine feels she is doomed to work for her father for the rest of her life. She constantly complains and talks about doing things differently, but it's all talk. She never makes any changes. It's not just her father. Her boyfriend walks all over her too... She knows it but she does nothing. She told me that she will be breaking it off for good this week when I'm up in MN visiting my family. But I know when I get home, she will be all cuddly and lovey dovey with him, same as always.
Another friend of mine has a college education they don't use. They do have a good job and they do make good money. But even that is wasted. They could be saving to get their own place and be off on there own. Instead, they live at home with their parents and spend all of their money on "toys"...you know, cars, t.v.'s and such.
Yet another of my friends does nothing. NOTHING! That is all they do....
Another one of my friends "treats" himself whenever he's feeling down. The only problem is he feels he deserves these "treats" three to four times a week. He hasn't paid his rent in at least 4 months (that I know of for sure, I think it may be more) This one bothers me because half of me feels bad, but the other half wants him to know that there is NO WAY his sorry butt will be sleeping on my couch when he gets kicked out of his apartment. He did this to himself.
I recently discovered a relative of mine has got himself in the worst of spirals (though he doesn't see it). His life is completely preoccupied with drugs and alcohol. It is really upsetting me. I've been sick about it since I found out. I just keep wondering "what happened?" I never in a million years would imagine he would end up this way. And of course, as with all addicts, he is enjoying himself and doesn't see a problem. He has had his license taken away, but he insists it's not the drugs and alcohols fault.
Another one of my relatives tried to end his life... Twice! Again, I never saw it coming...
I know none of my friends or relatives had these lives in mind when they made their plans. My friends bitch and bitch and bitch and bitch and bitch (well you get the idea) about all of the things that went wrong in their lives. I listen to them talk and try to give advice when I feel I can. But lately I am growing tired of it. Why should I give the same advice over an over again if the person makes no effort to change?...
I am by no means judging them. Things happen and sometimes you have no choice...And even when you have a choice, the choices I make aren't the same as someone else. My only point to writing this (and thinking it over and over in my mind) is trying to figure out if Life Plans are worth it. It seams to me, they can just disappoint you in the end if you fall short. I honestly believe all the people above tried hard to get where they wanted to be...but when they couldn't succeed right away, they got depressed and fell back on plan B...or maybe C.
I think that is what leads people to turn to drugs or suicide or living off daddy or even living in denial of their situations... They think they can't do better for themselves so they don't.
I started thinking about my life and the plan I had. I wanted to travel. I wanted to graduate. I wanted to start my career BEFORE I even started looking for a husband... My life is nothing like that. I look at what a lot of my single friends and relatives are doing and I find myself feeling disappointed. I feel like I failed and they are the lucky ones... But then I think "Wait a second, I have a husband who loves and takes care of me! I have a beautiful baby and another one on the way! I have a home that I love and friends and family that are ALWAYS there for me!"
No I didn't get what I wanted. My life may be nothing like I had planned it to be but it is a good life that I'm grateful for everyday. I'm not going to let myself get upset over what I could have done. What I could have changed.
To my friends that feel like they have failed, I say "SHUT UP!"
You are young! You have plenty of time to turn your lives around, and even if you don't get what you want in the end, be thankful everyday for what you did get!
Life Plans are just goals...You may not ever reach them but you can make sure you enjoy one hell of a ride trying to get there :)
**Love to All**
2 comments:
You inspire me...
To write a blog on my own stupid 'Life Plans'
Lol, but good points, all of them.
Love you and miss you, have a safe trip home...
I LOVE YOU very very much. And in agreeance with emz i plan to blog on my own life plans and how they go awry. i am so glad that you can rise above and see God's bigger picture for you. You are splendidly blessed and actually are quite the inspiration for me to do what makes me happy and not what the world wants for me. You are amazing. and I love you.
Post a Comment