My baby came on a Friday. We had a scheduled section (had to since our first 2 were c-sections). Eric got up around 4 (I was up all night). We left the house at 4:40. Kelsey was in town staying with us so she stayed home to make sure that Berti and Lolo got up and got on the bus for school. On the way to the hospital the first song playing on the radio was Papa don’t preach by Madonna. It made me laugh because it’s about being pregnant :)
We arrived at the hospital at 5:00 am. No one was at the front desk to let us in so we had to push the call button and wait for a nurse working in the back part or the hospital to come and let us in. This was our first baby at the new hospital, and I hadn't toured the maternity ward ahead of time, so I was excited to see what it was like. I was very impressed. The whole ward is locked off so you have to get permission to get in and visit the new mamas. The room was quite large. I had my own bathroom and shower. The windows were big and let in loads of light. There was only a tiny nursery so the babies spent almost all their time in the room with their moms. Berti and Lolo were constantly being “stolen” by the nurses at the old hospital so I was VERY happy to see that this would not be the case with our new baby. Overall, I was very pleased.
Prep for surgery seemed to take forever. I’m not sure if it actually took that long or if it was just my nerves. Once wheeled into the surgical room, I was relaxed quickly by the anesthesiologist. And not just with the drugs. Haha! He was very friendly and funny and talked to me about what I thought the sex of the baby was (Ultrasound said boy but I kept having dreams about it being a girl). He talked football with Eric. He looked very familiar but I wasn't sure if we had him for one of my other kids births or if we had him when Berti got her tubes taken out. I told Eric I thought all of the equipment made the surgical room look like an alien spaceship. Eric laughed and said I was weird.
Once the surgery started, it went quick. We started soon after 7 and he was born at 7:25 am. I was pretty calm during the surgery. I kept asking Eric if he was ok. He kept laughing because he knew there would be nothing I could do to help him if he did pass out. The second I heard the baby cry, I lost it and began to cry too. Before I could see him (He was still behind the screen) the anesthesiologist confirmed that he was in fact a boy and commented that he was a big boy and that he was at least an 8 1/2 pounder. Eric laughed and said “You got your small baby Mama” which made everyone in the room confused because they had no idea how big my other babies were. When they first brought him over to me, I reached out to touch him and said “Hi baby” and he grabbed tightly onto my thumb. I cried again.
He ended up weighing 9lbs, 4 oz. He was 21 3/4 inches long. Had big beautiful grey blue eyes and full head of medium brown hair.
Daddy’s selfie
Last photo of the two of us before baby came. I’m really not that poofy. They had a big tube attached to my gown that was blowing hot air in so I wouldn't get too cold. I felt like a balloon.
The first time I got to hold him after he was washed, weighed and measured. I immediately thought he looked just like Berti did when she was born. 
This is my absolute favorite photo. We didn't get this shot with our first two kids so I’m very excited to have it now. 
List of important people that needed to be called and his cute little footprints.
Proud daddy making all the calls (seriously, it was all him. If you didn't get one, be mad at him, not me. Haha!)
These photos right here are of me filling out the paper work and finally choosing his name. Anyone who follows me on facebook or twitter already knows that this was a very hard decision for me. I know so many people that have the names picked out months in advance but I walked into the hospital that morning with a list of over 30 names. All throughout my pregnancy we had affectionately called my belly Thor. Lolo had occasionally switched up the super heroes but to daddy and me, he was always Thor. The only problem was. I don’t think Fathers would appreciate their daughter dating a boy named Thor. I also don’t think that’s a great name to put on a job application. In the end I picked another “T” name, also 4 letters long. Eric hated it. My best friend hated it. They both tried to talk me out of it. In the photos below, I had Eric hold him for me so I could get a good look at his face and I just knew that they were wrong. I had the perfect name. He’s a “Toby” and nobody could change my mind. Of course I had to bribe daddy by using his name as a middle name for Toby. He loved having somebody named after him. Haha!
Funny thing is “Toby” was actually one of the first names I put on my list over 4 months earlier so I had the name all along… Funnier thing, I’m still calling him Thor. Ha!
(by the way, I am NOT naked in any of these shots. I just have the sleeves of my hospital gown pulled down so I can nurse easily. The gown is pink and almost skin toned but I promise, it is there!)
Going home (FINALLY!!!)
By the time they finally let me check out of the hospital, I felt like I was in prison. Don’t get me wrong, the hospital was lovely, the food was a little better than I remember it being and my nurses were absolutely fantastic but after being locked up for 3 whole days and 3 whole nights, I was wanting to break free :)
I want to say a very special thank you to my best friend Kelsey. She took care of the kids for us while we were in the hospital. She got them fed and to school and she made me laugh when I was all emotional. She also took almost all of the photos above (Eric took the ones in the operating room). She said at one point that I gave her an evil look whenever she put the camera down. I don’t remember doing this but if I did, it obviously worked. The photos she took are so fantastic! It’s like I had a professional with me in the hospital the whole time. I love you girl! You rock!
No comments:
Post a Comment